Thursday, June 28, 2012

France, day 5

I'm writing this while listening to people react to what's going on in the Italy/Germany soccer game. Listening to the reactions is really more entertaining than watching the game!! Today was a pretty easy day. Either that or it wasa normal day, and I'm just used to crazy rehearsals, I'm not sure. Msre sectionals, and then full rehearsals, and then a few hours with the singers... But everyone is tired enough that we only have 4.5 hours scheduled for tomorrow. Some things mom thinks I should write about. This summer program is a training orchestra, but many people here are already semi-professional. Most are either working on a masters or already done with one (or several), which makes me young, if not the youngest. Most of the people here have chosen old music as a specialty. This program, from what I can tell, is one of the better summer programs for old music. The people here are from all over, but I think everyone has a european residence. Old music schools like Basel and the Hague have a larger presence than normal schools like Zurich. Some people here are starting to feel a little trapped in this small village. I guess the two years I spent at Interlochen trained me out of feeling cooped up in small towns. I'm completely happy with just my book, a cute area to run in, a little playground, and limited internet. It's turning out to be a nice break from the outside world. The food: is made by a few really good cooks. They haven't repeated anything. It's always two courses--a salad course, which is usually a leaf salad and some other kind of salad plus a little appetizer like toast or stuffed grape leaves, and a main course, which is generally a grain, a veggie, and a protein. They always have a vegetarian option, and by the second day all the cooks knew all the vegetarians, and serve us accordingly. I'm not as tired my last post sounded, I promise, I just don't always know what to write about!

No comments:

Post a Comment