Saturday, October 10, 2009

The small stuff...

I was riding the bus to the University today, and I saw a man walking with a double bass. In one of the bow pockets? An umbrella. It made me smile.... because we really do have two types of weather here: cold rain, and really cold rain... although I guess it also mists, fogs, and clouds here.

I've been thinking... a dangerous pastime, I know (sorry, had to make a Beauty and the Beast reference)... it's the little moments that matter. Considering that my nearest family is thousands of miles away, there are days when I feel really alone... and then a woman will help me at the grocery store, or someone will smile at me on the street, or invite me to their house for a meal... and then I feel better. But then I also feel like I have to pass it on, whether its a smile or food.

I think everyone should spend some time in another country.... learn about another culture, learn another language.... I feel like the only possible thing it can foster is tolerance, a necessity in a shrinking world. Being far from home forces people to rely in the kindness of strangers, and realize that no matter where a person lives, where they're from, or what they believe, they're still people.

Haha, my writing is so disorganized today! But I hadn't posted actual writing on my blog in a while, so I figured I would write a bit today....

Anyway, any questions or topics anyone wants me to write about later?

1 comment:

  1. You are a wise woman. Wish I could come hug you this very minute!

    ReplyDelete